So, my mother recently received a huge hamper filled with edible goodies wrapped in pretty cardboard boxes and decided to do what she does best; discard the boxes and paper after keeping what’s inside, without a second thought. It’s such a pity to see perfectly good boxes in great condition go to waste! I quote her, “It’s just a useless box. It’s going to be recycled anyway”.
Unfortunately, I do NOT have much faith in anything being genuinely recycled in my country unless taken to an actual recycling plant, not hopefully separated by the trash workers to be recycled. I’m sorry, but fact is, regardless of those multi-coloured tin cans you see in shopping malls that requests you to separate your trash into different categories before throwing them in, does not actually get recycled at the end of the day. It mostly goes to the dump with the rest of the trash.
So, I picked out the boxes from my trash can and thought of what to do with them. In the end, I decided to make a jewellery display/holder because I could really use a few. I know it’s not much to look at, but it suits my need to re-use recyclable materials & hang jewellery, so I’m completely fine with it. You can adjust it to suit yours!
What do you need?
- A Box
- Long Pins
- Wrapping paper / Unused Fabric
- Take your unused box, and fit in a piece of styrofoam inside. If you don’t think it’s thick enough, you may proceed to adding a few more layers. This is to provide a secure cushion for your pins later on. So, ensure it comes close to the surface you intend to stab with pins. If you are using an old show box cover like me, you can place the styrofoam layer directly behind the cover.
- Wrap your box with fancy wrapping paper, fabric, or whatever materials you have lying around to use as a background for your jewellery. In my case, I used a large newspaper page (the nicest page I could find) & cellophane taped it down until secure.
- Here’s the fun part! Place your pins according to how you want to present your jewellery. For example, do you want your jewellery to be hanging vertically, horizontally or just as decoration? It’s entirely up to you! Make sure your pins are secured. Especially if you have heavy jewellery like me! The styrofoam layer should do the trick.
- Lastly, place your jewellery, stand back & admire.
Hope it turned out well for you!
If you have any more ideas for unused boxes, do let me know! I’d be glad to hear them. See you next time!